Trinidad/ Guyana can better understand each other if there is more appreciation of the similarities among the differences between Indo and Afro religious practices. Because of Hinduism’s presence and popularity, it gets more respect as African gods have many similarities to that of Vedic culture or Hinduism.
Not only Hindus have many gods and goddesses for a special purpose for a given time, so, too, there are African gods. African gods have a deity for education, science, healing, wellness, and a Creator of the Universe as in Hinduism. African gods and culture is about spirituality in the inanimate and animate world. Like Hinduism, both cultures believe in Pantheism that Spirituality is in everything God created. The African religion is not dogmatic to a set of given laws, but is concerned about self – realization as the Hindus believe in the soul or Atma.
Examples of African / Hindu Gods are -;
1. OKO – Deity of Agriculture. / Balarama – the Hindu God of farming and strength.
2. OSUN – Deity of Beauty / Lakshmi the Hindu Goddess of love and beauty
who brings wealth.
3. Olorun – Creator of the Universe; Hinduism is Brahma.
4. ORUNMILA – Deity of Wisdom/Hinduism Saraswati.
5. Sango – Deity for fire and sexuality. – Hinduism Agni
6. Mother – Deity for Mankind / Brahma.
7. OBATALA – Deity for moral uprightness / Dharma Shastras [ Brahma –
law books of moral duties],
and many GODS’ more like Hinduism.
The African race in the Caribbean that seeks comfort in Arab and European
culture will be better off in advancing as a first -class race when the African man
recognized his Grand African Narratives.
I stand to be corrected.